Thursday, September 14, 2006

><***#@**__--}}">

washed boats..

..leaving in 24 days


To all whom are concerned, I am going to be using the same email adress as I always have (mookfish@hotmail.com) during my entire stay in Samoa. I would love to stay in touch with as many people as possible so any and all emails are appreciated. Even more so I am super intruiged by the idea of written letters like the once they used to use before computers and typewriters. I find them to be very personal and therefore much more exciting to recieve. I think that is true for everybody back home as well because everyone likes getting mail. Staying in touch is groovy.

Needless to say I've been an avid fan of old blogs kept by Peace Corps volunteers, especially those in the South Pacific. I've learned an awful lot about the different emotions that volunteers experience during different stages of their commitments. In the Peace Corps there is a three month training period. During this time I gather that volunteers tend to become extremely overwhelmed with their sudden life change and often lose communication for much of their training. This is because volunteers work 5 days a week and take field trips on weekends. In addition to the time spent in training we also have to learn the language to a comprehendable degree. My entire livelihood for the next 27 months will be acted out in a foreign language and for that alone I am starting to get excited. It is a very exciting time right now and I am fighting anxiety pretty well. I've been washing boats all summer so I have adapted a generally laid back attitude in all walks of life these days. Washing boats and spending much of my days at various marinas has made me very imaginative. I often imagine that I am waiting for my ship. I stare at the sky at times and imagine I was in the middle of the ocean and could see nothing but water in all directions.

This morning I was at Coney and I talked with a random stranger who told me that imagination is more important that education.

No comments: