Monday, July 09, 2012

Delhi


It's been said in every blog you've ever read about India and I shall repeat it again in mine.  Upon first arrival in India you are greeted by the powerfully overwhelming smells that seem to blast you in the senses the moment you step off the plane.  

After a slap in the olfactory senses and a short overnight flight I arrive and begin the first hours of a long and beautiful journey!


I quickly became with the first (other) confused looking foreigner I could find.  Her name was Judith and she is a medical student who lives in Latvia.  She pointed me in a few good directions and begin that domino effect of travel when you meet person after person and help each other along the way.

my friend Judith - thanks for your help in the chaos!

Red Fort









Delhi is actually a pretty cool city.  It's not my favorite city but there is much to be said about a place that can truly make you realize how faraway you come from and for the remainder of this journey i'll be thankful that I used this city as a diving board into a new adventure.


I had every intention to document all that I've learned about Hinduism in the last few days but it's really a very complicated religion and I wouldn't do it justice.  I did get to visit some cool temples and shrines and respectfully fight the temptation to not take photographs from within.  The temples cry out with bells and chanting much in the way that I came to know the sound of the mosques back in istanbul. Outside you can find many people making floral arrangements to decorate the various deities from within.








I must document the events which occured in the last few days and describe how I made my escape from Delhi and began the true heart of my journey in Nepal.

It is monsoon season here in the part of the world and that doesn't necessarily imply torrential downpour however things are wet and sticky pretty much always and that makes getting around a bit difficult.

I arranged for a bus to come take me to another bus that would then take me to Banbasa, which is the India border city with Nepal.  The bus of course never came and about 45 minutes later an old man on a motorcycle with very broken internet came to take me on a wild ride through the cars, cows and rain that built the traffic of Delhi.



Korean Salak!!



Alejandro and Li.  they have been here for a little too long :)

The countries are both essentially vegetarian.  Culturally and Culinarily speaking that is an amazing thing for me.  I absolutely love the food here and soon i'd like to learn how to make some dishes myself. 



When you travel alone you must rely on the help from other travels to keep your head on straight.  This guy is Alejandro.  I have a feeling we'll be hearing more about him when I get to Kathmandu.






The bridge and river separating India and Nepal









Somehow.. on the most horrific bus ride i've ever been on this dude managed to pass out on my shoulder.

Some pictures of the villages I passed through in Western Nepal








The dawn of the Himalaya.. they are both beautiful and intimidating.








I've made it to the Nepal side of the Indian border.  I'm in search of Rhinoceros and colorful birds.  I'm healthy and positive and I hope these photos will continue to bring happiness to all.  Much love!

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

killin it, as usual!