Monday, October 01, 2007

God

I think if you strip down everything you are supposed to believe about God as well as everything that people have done to leave you displeased with God you will be left with a very unique perspective of the world. I find it hard to believe that any one religion has every come close to a single percent of an understanding about this God character because you can hold up the idea of God in front of the world and every culture will see something completely different. If the idea of God is presented before an agricultural community the people will no doubt associate God with the sun or rainfall. If you hold up the idea of God before a warlike tribe, their God might resemble a ferocious animal like a tiger or bear. I often wonder about what I think God might be like because even though I have reached a point in my life where I do not accept formal religion at any church I won't lie that I still believe in God. Maybe to me God is the force of things (nature) or simply 'the way' in a taoist sense. Some people see God as a savior delivering them from the troubles of Earth while other see God as being vengeful and they are careful not to anger their deity. Actually I think many people are generally fearful of God probably because they have been raised with the notion of Hell but who knows anymore..

I wonder if God is that narrating voice in your head that mumbles faster than you could vocalize. Maybe God is more like a scientist or mathematician who has set forth the laws of physics as well as the principals of each mathematical formula on the pages of your tenth grade algebra books. Have you ever taken acid? I personally haven't but I hear that you might see God if you take enough. I was once told that a friend's auntie can cook an Italian dish so well that it will make you believe in God. People like to call out to God over and over again during sex and I've always wondered if he/she/it were amused with this. Are we certain that God is actually a good god? We could be ants under a giant magnifying glass at the mercy of a power much greater than ourselves just waiting for our time to burn.

This is why I recommend that we eliminate all we have been told about God and we discover him/her/it for ourselves. I don't think that this requires specific prayers or chanting and incense (although nag champa is nice) but I do think it takes an open mind. I sincerely doubt that an angel will come to you or you will speak in tongues but I bet you find something. It's strange but I'm noticing that the less I believe in Christianity the more I believe in God. Maybe it is because that pesky guilt thing has resided and I can replace my fears with intrigue about the world God created. I don't have a problem believe that we are tiny specks of nothing just floating around like plankton in a vast ocean. I don't mind handing my whole being over to a creator and if I'm lucky to me him/her/it I won't waste my time asking questions like "why?" and "what does it all mean", I'll just smile and say, "you sneaky little sneak, well done."

No comments: