Saturday, September 16, 2006

Ghosts Underwater

Had a dream a few years ago that I'll never forget..

Many of my dreams involve water. Sometimes my entire dream will take place underwater. The whole flying in dreams thing for me could easily be interpretted as swimming but because I can only breathe underwater in dreams I will always have an easy way to tell when things are getting lucid. So this dream I had a few years ago:

I remember being at a pier of some sort. It was late. There were magnificent shades of dark blue all around me that I can almost taste when I think about. I was above water at the time. I remember looking down into the night water and seeing two faded sources of light pointing aimlessly through the water. Like an inscect who cannot fight the temptation of unexplainable light I dove into the water head first. I swam deeper and deeper and before long I realized that the lights were actually the high beams of an unfortunate car that was still running. I can recall hearing a faint radio echo through the water. The car was smashed under a huge boulder or chunk of rock. There were four people inside, none of them living. I swam up to the car for a closer look and what I saw still makes me shiver. It was four unfortunate souls who died struggling to get out of the sunken vehicle. The expressions on their faces and the positions of their bodies suggested that they tried in vain to free themselves. I don't remember thinking twice about what I was about to do. I opened one of the doors and the body of a young girl, about my age, came floating out. Careful not to touch the body I kept my distance but never took my eyes off of her. She was pale and her face looked lifeless. I can't say that I wasn't scared however I don't remember being able to think logically about this situation at hand. I should have swam to the surface and called the police or something but I was lost in this horrific moment. We floated for several moments and our faces were always directly in front of one another although I refused to get close. I saw the car fade into the distance and the music turned into a hush. Only moments before there wasn't enough light left to see anything, her eyes opened and looked directly at me... naturally, this is when I woke up.

No comments: