Sunday, December 10, 2006

Ma'asina - Round 3


Aumai se patia!
Fa'amolemole! Alofa Mai! Ta Fia Ai, Fa'amolemole!




Saturday, Nov 25

Walk into the bay out to where the waves break. Sit on the rocks and watch the sun set behind the mountains. Put on a mask and watch the creatures that inhabit the coral below like an aquatic civilization. The moon is an upside-down sliver high above the village. It’s good to be back in Ma’asina.

Sunday, Nov 26

This is the last chapter of the preface to a very long book. It is an exciting book so I’m sure it will be a good read, but just as all good books go I am sure that it will be a quick read. As I’ve been told, this too shall pass. This makes me think about the future and where I might end up next. I love the idea of being a world traveler for the rest of my life. I get excited when I think about the places I’ve been and the places I want to go. Why? Well, the Earth is round and that is a good enough reason for me! When I was in China I remember waking up in the morning and looking out the window of my cousin’s house into the streets of Shanghai and being so thankful that I’ve made it so far. At Summer Palace in Beijing, we saw an old man writing poetry in Chinese using water on the concrete streets with a fine tipped mop. I figure his ability to create such a beautiful art with no attachment was a lesson in and of itself. That experience was reason enough for me to come back some day. So here I sit on the oceanside with my feet buried in the sand. I give a smile to the moon and say thank you for keeping me company on all those times I’ve chosen the lonelier path.

Monday, Nov 27

Found a great spot to swim in the bay today. It was low tide by the time me and Tavita got out of class so we were able to walk very far out into the bay until we were almost directly in front of the village of Lona. We walked across the coral and rocks in water that was only about a foot deep. At the end of the rock was about a twelve-foot drop off where we were able to dive from the shallow cliff into the depths below. What we found was an aquatic wonderland full of tropical fish and sea life. The waves above were strong and the undercurrent threw me into the rocks a few times causing few minor wounds but I did manage to catch a couple underwater pictures with Uesile’s badass waterproof camera. The edge of the drop off offers a nice rock to sit on waist deep in the ocean where one can watch the sparkle of the sun turn into gems on the surface that travel out farther than the eye can see and the imagination can comprehend.

Tuesday, Nov 28

Trivia: What do all people in black and white photographs have in common?

Wednesday, Nov 29

Today was our Samoan Culture Day. We began by meeting at 7:00 and splitting up into three teams. The four girls stayed behind preparing soup and working in the falekuka while the guys worked in the plantations up in the mountains. Half of the guys gathered coconuts for niu and my half traveled up to a steep rock where we gathered taro and breadfruit leaves. The hike was tremendous and we did it barefoot while only wearing a lavalava. Our return was celebrated with a pleasant rain and afterwards we began to prepare the umu, which is an oven made of coconut husks and very hot rocks. Our purpose was to prepare a great meal for the matai of our village and neighboring villages and we played the part of the untitled servants. We worked really hard performing the many tasks involved in the preparation of traditional Samoan foods. I learned how to make palusami, which is a delicious coconut cream and onion food served in taro leaves. I also helped husk coconuts and shave the taro. I was unaware of this but taro shavings are apparently similar to poison oak and if you touch your skin with it the result is a very painful itch. Without knowing this I wiped my hands on my lavalava delivering a terrible pain to both of my legs. The feeling was horrible and I almost couldn’t bear it. Walking was excruciating and I had to make a painful trek back to my fale to wash my legs and change my lavalava, which instantly solved the problem. The most interesting part of the day was when to food was served we had to fan the matai and avoid eye contact and conversation. We then took what they didn’t eat and divided it amongst ourselves in the falekuka. There was still plenty going around but being a vegetarian I made a meal of only taro and palusami, which I did not complain about. It’s not 1:30 and although I’m exhausted I have enough energy to go snorkeling in my favorite spot in the bay. I can only describe it as a shipwreck minus the ship. I am starting a long mental list of the many creatures I’ve seen down there.

Friday, Dec 1

Began reading an old favorite the other day, The Tao of Pooh. The simpleminded happiness of that little bear brought me back to the same feelings I had when I first read both the Tao of Pooh and the Tao Te Ching many years ago. If you’re reading this, CHEERS to you OLD FRIEND for first teaching me the importance of simplicity, I hope you realize how much I appreciate this lifelong lesson and I cannot thank you enough for how you’ve affected my life. I was especially compelled by the Taoist painting of the three vinegar tasters. The vinegar represented life and the sour acidic taste offends and is frowned upon by the first two tasters while the last one is smiling. He is smiling because he understands the balance between sour and sweet in life and therefore is happy even when life doesn’t taste very good.

“If people were superior to animals they’d take better care of the world,” said Pooh. “That’s true,” I said.

Saturday, Dec 2

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned it in this blog but there is a fabled creature in the waters around the Samoan Archipelago called the Uila Sami (Ocean Lightning), which has never been photographed. It is a small translucent jellyfish-like creature with a mild light show on its tentacles. The creature will sting you causing great pain and temporary blindness that can last for several days. I have known about it for a while but for some reason I hadn’t thought to ask Solomona about it until tonight. He told me that he saw it once a few years ago during a storm while fishing. He described it just like my useful field guide does that I bought from Apia a few weeks ago. I like to find fish that I’ve never seen before and learn as much as I can about them including their Samoan names. Today I found a really funny looking fish called the Manybar Goatfish (matulau) who is always keeping a stupid look on his face. A recent favorite is the Humphead Bannerfish (laulaufau laumea) who looks much like a brown sailboat. I’ve seen heaps of Butterflyfish (tifitifi) Damselfish (tu’u’u) and Angelfish (also called tu’u’u). My present goal is to hunt down the Beaked Leatherjacket (pa’umalo gutumui), which lives in acropora on the oceanfloor. My favorite bird that I’ve seen so far is the Pacific Reef Heron (matu’u), which is a very cool blue crane-like bird that hangs out near our falefono and steals my attention during morning check-in. I’ve successfully been snorkeling everyday for the last seven days and I don’t plan on breaking that habit for my final week in Ma’asina. The waves travel in repetitive patterns and after being in the water and rocked back and forth long enough, the motion from the current stays with you back on dry land. I especially feel it when I lay in bed and my body feels like I’m still being carried by the waves – I love it.

Monday, Dec 4

Visited the Aleipata island group yesterday with our team for a bit of holiday before beginning our final week in village training. The coral formations were fantastic and I found the famous Beaked Leatherjacket that I set out to find. It is a cool little hummingbird of the fish world that flutters around the coral looking for tasty treats – we had a moment.. it was great. Today was spent in Apia and this evening we were reunited with a member from our group who had been missing for a few days due to personal issues but needless to say it is good to be a full team again. I was walking home tonight and I stopped to talk with Lopi and ‘Arona who were sitting under a tree. In the middle of our conversation we noticed a very bright moon above the bay and we then ran to the waterside to watch. Nobody says a word during times like these because there really is no need to, we just watch. We don’t watch as if we’re waiting for something to happen, we just watch and words aren’t necessary anymore.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The last week was spent focusing on both our LPI (Language Proficiency Interview?) and our farewell fiafia. I’ll spare a few words about the fiafia and let the pictures do the talking. Nevertheless I am back in Apia and all is well. I am losing my voice because of the endless screaming on Friday at our performance. I did however go to the bar with our team and there I ran into Kevin Pieters who I surfed with in Savai’i way back when. It was here that I bought my first surfboard from him thus became a very happy MookFish. I’ll end here.. I’m sure not many people are reading at this point but those who are I thank you for your interest in life on my side of the planet! Cheers!

No comments: