Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pancakes


Symmetrical – that’s how I feel right now. I feel like the last eight days or so have been a fast of sorts from sleeping and eating right but both were a small price to pay for excellent company from new friends just a small island away. The events of the last few days were clouded with the sudden tofa le soifua of five excellent guys from our Peace Corps Samoa institution. These things are out of my hands though and I’m sure their lives will lead to beautiful places regardless. I miss my Tonga friends. I really miss that someone in particular with James Brown’s initials who I survived a riptide with – I’ll find her again – I won’t tell how this story ends before it even happens, wouldn’t want to give away what happens next! Symmetry… I got some great sleep last night and today at Faofao where our early service conference was held. It’s been days since I’ve slept well but I woke up looking out over the ocean as peaceful as a Hindu cow. I feel strangely happy today. Chapter two of my stay out here has ended and I’m very content with how things are turning out. Last night I sat on the beach and made cheers with some of my closest friends. It reminded me of training when everything was new and together we shared our excitement nightly. These days we are off in our own worlds writing our own stories and it is good to bury our feet in the sand together and laugh at the nothingness of things. It rained hard for a while and the pitter-patter of heavy raindrops on my fale was so intense I couldn’t hear myself dream. I’m happy. I’m very happy right now. I’ve learned a lot in the last few days and this realization came to me under such strange circumstances and chance that I almost didn’t learn from the wisdom that lay right in front of me. These things do not appeal to the obvious but rather to the minds of those who believe there is something more beneath the surface. Something is waking up and I’m glad I’m up early enough to see it.

Smile if you read this. You make me smile.


Give your hearts but not into each other's keeping
for only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
-Kahlil Gibran

No comments: