Monday, January 08, 2007

Sliding Rocks



Did my first ever cliff jump today from a place called Papaseea (Sliding Rocks) just outside of Apia. I gotta say that theme parks in Samoa are much different then the ones at home and you are definitely playing at your own risk. The first few jumps I took were small ones along the side of the pool but after enough courage was worked up I took a 20+ foot plunge into the fresh water below. The feeling is absolutely incredible. After jumping a few times you really start to feel more confident about the task and it really is a lot of fun. The picture I have here actually shows the lesser cliff as there is a bigger one to the right that takes all you have in you to climb let alone leap from. It was raining on us as we sat at the top of the waterfalls. It is a pretty cool feeling being in the jungle under the tropical rain before you take a leap into the spring below. There are also these cool slides along the smooth rocks under the water flow. You can sit on your bum and ride it like a waterslide or be a bit more bold and stand on your feet and glide to the bottom. Apparently this place only functions during the rainy season and is there for a treat that can only be enjoyed for part of the year – having said this, anyone who comes out here during a rainy part of the year better be prepared to go on a cliff jumping adventure. The last few days have been groovy. Just floatin’ around trying to take every moment in stride. I don’t worry to much about things and I really have no concern about time anymore. Any day that doesn’t go my way will still promise a beautiful sunset over the ocean and nothing can beat that. I’m deeply immersed in my aquatic adventures. As we speak I am sitting in an internet cafĂ© with wet shorts and a soggy head but I am very content. This next week will be as aqueous as ever and now that I have my new camera you can anticipate plenty of beautiful photography from the most beautiful place in the universe. I almost jumped the gun and made the long hike to Lake Lonoto’o the other day. I’ve made promises that I’d wait but my adventurous heart is beating and I never know where I’m going to wake up anymore.My favorite alien.

Thank you so much Al for these wonderful pictures!

No comments: