Monday, May 03, 2010

like sunday morning in leulumoega



this morning was absolutely beautiful. one of those days when i slowly opened my easy and didn't curse the day time.. i'm well-slept and have nothing to do until 7pm tonight. this is a blessing thanks to a variation of my schedule making me a night teacher but i'm thankful for it. nobody is home. wipe off the grease from my eyelids and start the coffee. burn one to my head and press rewind while looking out into the world below my window. if my obscure writings before weren't obvious, i've had a bout of depression lately. my head has sort of been spinning with the previous events of this past month. realistically, this past 15 months have been chaotic but the scars of learning are beginning to reveal themselves. i'm happy to be here in istanbul, my favorite (big) city in the world. this city welcomes me and doesn't stare at me when i walk by. in fact i blend in with the other wayward wayfarers and painted bodies who challenge the mysteries of time. every third person carries a guitar in my part of town. every third person has a backpack of songs and memories... compelling us closer... are we getting any closer? i am.. i'm tired of questioning and validating. my mission is clear to me and now that the winds have changed (oh yeah... the winds have changed) i see before me the path i must take if i ever wish to reach Issyk-Kul, kyrgyzstan.

i'm going through russia now.. turkmenistan was becoming a looming problem and frankly i dont care much about that place. now my path takes me north of georgia into russia to be circles eastward through the majority of kazakhstan and straight into the heart of kyrgyzstan where i will remove my backpack and lay in the grass.. my only goal..


my new path looks something like this:


i guess i'm happy that i'm doing this alone. it is nice to think about having someone along for the ride, and in fact that might be true for my turkish leg of the trip, but after that i'm on my own again. i like that. makes a man strong. what could you know about yourself until you are alone in central asia?



"kazakh people are naturalists and still believe that nature is a collective of spirits.. dont brush your teeth in the river, they dont like that.."

-advice from my polish friend whose name i dont know yet whose advice i never forget

No comments: