Sunday, August 28, 2011

Detroit, Michigan


this morning, sunday morning, i woke up on my friend's couch to the long-lost and beautiful sounds of church bells. my ears first heard their sounds long before i opened my eyes and i felt something come over me suggesting that a very long chapter of my life had drawn to a close. i knew the next sounds of worship i would hear would be those of the imam's ezen calling from the mosques of a city i have come to know for two years as home.. and i knew that would be the last time i'd see my detroit friends for a long while.

last night was amazing. the first touches of our glasses began with one of those in-depth conversations about a god who we have never seen or heard yet somehow silences all of us. i also saw the shadows of the future looming far in the distance as i looked to what will surely be a very interesting year for myself and those who i have come to know and love. i met with some of the best people this world has created and sank into a few of the best conversations i have ever had.

i know in every walk of this earth that i am blessed.

the night turned into a great night of detroit, finding our way onto the fooftops of an estranged old building, turned loft, turned late night venue and with everything in its right place i became deeply immersed in laughter and hugs.

we come from a different breed. we're the kind of people that make people from the suburbs of the midwest uncomfortable and one could only imagine how someone like us comes off to the people of another culture. we actually care about things too and we see the human species as one of great potential. this life is ours to write a book full of chapters of experience and stories and we appreciate those who take the time to share a few pages.

my travels have taken me to a lot of strange and beautiful places but i'll never again find a place like detroit. i've never met such crazy mother f**kers and i've never seen such unique places to reside. where else can one turn abandonment into such a vessel of art and creativity?

and we feel our time and place.

i remember the first few weeks of my residence in detroit when i used to take long walks down the train tracks near the new center. me and my new friends met a few people perhaps ten years our senior who had found their time and place in detroit and i knew at that moment i would one day be among the experienced of this town.

and here i am.

i've expatriated into a new land and a new life yet one cannot change where he is from. i take with me the soul of my city and the experiences i've found here are among the cracks in my eyelids - i wouldn't trade a single moment.

and now its time to leave. see you again, friends.

No comments: