Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Apia - day one

I got off the plane this morning at 545 on the sunrise side of island. We were greeted by the most breathtaking sunrise one could ever imagine spread across the beautiful Pacific. This place is truly magical. I have an amazing team and I couldn't ask for better people to work with. I flew in on Air New Zeland and I must say it was quite a wily flight. Some Samoans tend to be big people and for those flying on my flight they were provided with an extension seat belt so they can fit!

More about Samoa. I spent the better part of today in Apia in language training and culture classes. Around noon today we were invited to an 'ava ceremony. 'Ava is the equivalent to kava, which is a drink made from a crushed root that tastes kind of like mild soap water and leaves a pleasent numbness to the mouth and throat. We all sat indian style in a building called a fale (fah-lay) which is more or less a house made of poles. Apia is not to be confused with what we might consider to be a city because it is more like a few villages combined by the ocean-side. There really aren't any big buildings, just a denser population of about 40,000. Today I was given the name Kilisi (key-LEE-see) which is Samoan for Christopher. I am told that I will be going by this name for the rest of my stay in country. The country director, Kim is a really nice woman who is very impressed by the talents of our team. There is also a man named Kevin who is actually alot like myself. These people make me feel better about being here because I have to admit that although I was relatively fearless about leaving, I have become rather terrified by this place. It is the safest place in the universe so this is not the cause of my fear, but the sudden change of life has hit me like a ton of bricks. I miss Tiffany like hell.. God I miss her.. It is so painful being so far away from her. This is the most beautiful place is the world but what is that point if you cant see it with the most beautiful girl in the world.

Samoans are truly incredible people. I am learning the language quickly and I have found that communication is going to be easier than I thought. It is only my first day and I can actually get around this place with only minor complication. Everyone here is tattooed all over in all sorts of fantastic designs. They seem really interested in my tattoos and they all want to know where I got them. The food is terrific and I will have no problem maintaining vegetarianism here. I love the ocean.. everywhere you go you hear a woosh that could settle a crying child. I am already wearing a lavalava (manskirt) and I look damn sexy in it. I think I have officially gave up pants.

A few bus rides around the outskirts of town have proven what the next few years of my life will look like. This place is covered in villages. I am told that in ten days I will be staying for 20 days with a host family is a village called maasina (precious rock) I'm about to be kicked out of the cafe so I will post again soon.

I love all of you back home.. We will be together soon enough.

No comments: