Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A MookFish in the shallow reef

Samoan explorers: Kilisi, Uesile, and Koli



This will perhaps be my last entry for about ten days or so (unless I can squeeze in one more before I leave). This is because on Saturday morning I am traveling to Ma'asina for a village assignment where I will be stationed for a week. Yesterday was truly amazing:

The day began with a half day of language from which afterwards we promptly loaded onto a bus and traveled to the far East side of the island for water saftey classes. They took us out on a boat that sailed into the ocean far enough where Samoa because a giant green lump on the horizon. Snorkeling in the ocean is really awesome and really can only be compared to looking into a tropical aquarium at a Chinese resteraunt. The reef is one of the most beautiful places in the world and truly is magical. I learned all about saftey in the water and how not to be killed by the trecherous creatures of the deep (rule one: avoid the deep.. duh). My heart races every time I see the ocean. It is this enormous force that compells my soul to rip out of my body. I believe that my roomate Uesile has a water proof camera and within time I shall return with some visual stimulation.

I've learned alot in the last few days about Samoa and the history of Polynesian culture. I learned about the Matai system and how politics work around here. I'm very curiously learning more about Samoan music and food and I should have some impressive dishes to whip up when I come home.

As we speak it is pouring rain. I hear sometimes that it has been known not to stop raining for up to three weeks at a time. This is actually quite a blessing because it offers a break from the heat and humidity (and brother, it is HOT). I've grown quite accustom to the heat and I can actually go so far to say that I'm becoming fond of it. It's nice when it rains like this because the waterfalls are now in full effect and they are always quite a sight. I really enjoy spending time with the other trainees as well as the other volunteers. I've become quite fond of several of the volunteers and I hope within time we will all be close friends. They are, of course, what keeps my sanity in check around here.

Lately I've tried to take everything in stride. Following some excellent advice from Kevin, one of our trainers, I've learned that positivity is a practice. This has become my mantra and it seems to be working because a smile has never left my face. Even when I am sad, I am still smiling.. this is of course, part of the practice and perhaps the ultimate lesson I am supposed to learn upon my arrival to these amazing islands.

No comments: