Monday, October 16, 2006

Hands to the Sky <"}}><


Yeah Pacific


Fiafia last Saturday


Team Peace Corps hard at work


Leata (never caught without a smile!)


This actually took me about 10 minutes my first time

Lopi, Kevini, Kilisi, and Koli


This past weekend was really awesome. It began with a celebration on Saturday called a fiafia (which means something like happy-happy) where we were greated by a considerable number of active Peace Corps volunteers from Samoa. We were greeted by a number of dances including a really cool fire dance that left no jaws un-dropped. Following a great feast the night turned into a bit of unmentionable debauchery that left us all much closer and better friends to say the least. After a long night of fiafia-ing, we woke up early Sunday morning to head to the south end of the island where we spent the day on the most beautiful beach I have ever stepped foot on. Needless to say I feel a great afinity for the Pacific Ocean. I had a revelation the moment that I stepped in that I really dont want to ever live far away from it and one way or another I pray that it is always a part of my life.

There are some really great people in this this we call Peace Corps Samoa. I am not only fortunate to have such an amazing team but we have an immediate bond with the other groups who have been here for a varrying amount of time. I learned alot about my future assignment from a volunteer who I will be 'replacing' when I am done with training. Aparently my village is a really wonderful place with a bit more resources than the other villages in concerns with the school system. I am also going to located next to the islands' School of Fine Arts where there is an impressive display of woodcarving and other art.

Language is coming along great and in due time I feel as if I will be able to pull it off. We're heading back to the beach tomorrow for water safety and snorkleing. I actually got to do a little bit of snorkleing on Saturday and everywhere you look, the bottom of the Pacific looks like an aquarium. This is one happy MookFish!

Oh yeah.. my village is also right next to the office where one of the best tattoo artists on the island can be found. Sorry Mom.. (Gregg, I'll send you a tattoo in the mail.)

No comments: