Saturday, April 28, 2007

Aidan Christopher Smith

Dear Aidan,

First, let me welcome you to this crazy plane of existence! You were born with a shining star in both of your eyes, each passed down from the two most beautiful people I know. Through the miracles of science and makeshift internet connections I finally got to see what you look like from thousands of miles away and it gave me goosebumps - I could only imagine what your parents feel each time they hold you. They are so proud, Aidan.. I hear it in your father's voice when he talked about you before you were even born. Your mother is a wonderful soul who seems to instinctually know how to care for you and there is no doubt in my mind you will make a perfect family.

I have regrets. I regret not being around for your parents' wedding. I regret not being there for them while they waited for you and I especially regret not being there now.. But we'll meet someday. I want you and your parents to know that even thought I might be thousands of miles away I will always be there for them. Many years from now I'll be around to see your birthday parties and bring you fun things from around the world but until then I want you to know how sad it makes me that I am not there today.

I just want to let you know how fortunate we all are to have you with us. You have quite a ride ahead of you. It is a very crazy world and sometimes you'll get lost or feel like the weight of everything is too much but there are lessons to be learned and they will sort themselves out over time - everything happens in time. It's nice here on this planet though. There is beauty everywhere and many wonders to endlessly keep you focused on whichever path you chose. It really is a beautiful place and you are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. Just want to tell you how happy I am for you, your parents, and everyone lucky enough to be around you. Cheers Aidan - our paths will cross one day.

Your friend, Chris

No comments: