Sunday, April 29, 2007

ch!cken poulet!

Somehow I fell asleep on the bumpy bus ride home today. When I woke up I was in a faraway village halfway to the wharf. Shit. Fortunately with the aid of friendly pick-up trucks and overcast clouds I made my way home. I also walked about three miles which was good. It is a good day to walk. I have many things on my mind. The question is whether or not I should reveal my thoughts entirely in this journal or roll around in them like a sleepless night without a pillow.

My neck hurts.

The ocean is a wonderful thing. I love the view of Savai’i from my side of ‘Upolu. I love how the sun sets behind it these days and I love how fiery the sky gets at dusk. I’m trapped here – if I want to look at it that way. I’m happy on my island but in many ways I feel that the dynamics of ‘island’ are beginning to apply to me. There are hazardous boundaries on every side and if I don’t put a cap on my feelings I could drown. All one can do is sit by the ocean side and watch the tides change. Or laugh at the moon. I’ve done that a few times too.

You are a box of glow in the dark stars..

What the hell am I going to do? So I think to myself what happiness is. Happiness is surfing. Happiness is singing songs on the sea wall with my friends. Happiness is.. happiness is twisties and Sin City.. damn..

You know, I was on the bus today (before I fell asleep) and this Samoan song came on that I’ve heard about a thousand times. At first I noticed people mouthing the words but then some people started singing. Before long almost everyone, including myself, was singing. The spontaneity inspired me but it ended just as quickly as it began.

Build a canoe and travel far. Bring your sketch book and draw pictures of everything you see. When night comes, stare at the stars and make a wish for every shooting star that passes. Don’t be afraid because worries are wasted. Be bold..

No comments: