Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Where the dew tastes like honey and the trees bear the fruits of love

Just dance, you know? If you can’t dance that’s cool too just don’t hold still for too long. Life is a game of uncertainty and chance and the best way to find happiness is to explore and avoid complacency, so I find. Perhaps some people find happiness in security but I think it is the lack of security which gets my juices flowing.

I love the view of the ocean out of the window of a bus when travelling into town. I listen to good drum n bass and get lost in the wonderment of how many times the waves have ever crashed into the shores of my friendly island, perhaps a trillion in the last year alone. One time I had my headphones on quite loud and I was lost in the beautiful nothingness of tropical sunset and I felt tempted to walk into the ocean and never come back for all the right reasons just to see if my gills had fully evolved yet. I could live among the sea creatures and learn their ways, what they use for currency, what they consider poetry, art, how they determine their leaders, how they see in the dark.

Life on land has been pretty rad. This weekend was amazing. Uncertainty and chance did me well and through a series of unpredictable events I had an absolutely stellar night on Saturday. It all began by sitting on the rocks in the harbour with good friends singing loudly to the ocean while ignoring the rain and the night ended with a long contemplative walk by myself as the moon cracked free from the dark clouds to shine on me. Everything in between was simply otherworldly.

We have a short school week because of the holiday and with the last few days here I am working overtime on my video which I have promised to friends back home. I’ve got some good footage that I wont spoil by talking about and hopefully the project will be done this month.

I had an intense dream last night about an enormous sea vessel with people from all walks of life crowded on board. Of all people I even saw baby Aidan, who wont be born for a few more weeks I gather. Dan and Beth, I am so stoked for you guys that it is leaking into my dream world. I don’t think the vessel ever saw dry land which is interesting because I don’t think I’ve ever dreamt simply of a ship before.

Last weekend also yielded yet another tsunami evacuation. An earthquake hit about 45 km off the coast of the Solomon Islands killing maybe 20 people and sending a 5 meter tidal wave aimlessly into the Pacific. We were put on a stand by and ordered not to leave a consolidation point until the all-clear was announced. I’m not worried about tsunamis, it is the ungodly cyclones that worry me. Fortunately we are coming out of cyclone season but we’ve caught the edges of a few that hit Tonga and they really don’t mess around.
Kiss the pseudo-Japanese chef!


I think I’ll float for a while. This next few days promises adventuring through the south part of Upolu and I’m personally down with which ever way the wind wants to take me. There is no force of uncertainty and chance greater than the wind and I’m not going to offer any resistance.



Red sharpes: seriously.

No comments: